Communication without preconditions -
Introduction to Basic
Communication according to Winfried Mall
„Basale Kommunikation nach Winfried Mall“® ("Basic Communication according to Winfried Mall") is a practical way to enable mutual exchange with persons not to be reached by our conventional means of communication:
- Persons with a severe cognitive handicap
- Most severely and multiply handicapped persons
- Persons with profoundly autistic behaviour and cognitive handicap
- Persons with apallic syndrome or profound dementia
- Professionals and other persons having to do with the described persons in their everyday life.
- Understanding the importance of self-determination for every person.
- Understanding the communicative situation of the described persons.
- Increasing sensitivity to deal with bodily ways of expression with regard to oneself as well as to a partner.
- Experiencing the approach of Basic Communication as a way to avoid disruptions of communication respectively help diminish them.
- Discussion in small groups and in plenum, lectures, role play
- Practical experiences to deepen the relationship to one's own body, and to design body-centred encounters with another person.
- Practice in the approach of Basic Communication with a partner.
- Transfer to the situation of living or working with the described persons by videos and reflective discussions.
- Groups of up to 20 persons
- A room large enough so that all participants find enough space to lie on the floor; only chairs and 2 tables to put something down.
- Material: Drawing pencils and paper for all; a good CD player; flip-chart, TV with DVD player (or equivalent; in the evening subdued lightning; mats, blankets and pillows as far as available; script (will be delivered as a pdf-file)
- Participants bring along: Blanket, small pillow, comfortable clothing, warm socks.
Working hours16 teaching units of 45 min.; e.g.:
1st day: 09:00 to 19:30, 2nd day: 09:00 to 15:00 (30 min. breaks after every 90 min.)
The exact timing will be agreed upon according to the individual situation.